Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pre-Birthday Thrift Crawl Haul!

Hello Friends, it's good to see you again!

It's that time of year again- time for my annual birthday thrift crawl! That's when I take a whole day and go to all the thrift stores that are outside my usual neighborhood. It's good to kind of check in on places a bit farther out, just to see what's available. But I never have quite enough time to get to all the places I want to go in one day, so...I've decided to turn it into a week-long event. As in, get to a different nearby store every day this week, and save the long distance ones for the actual day (which was this past Saturday- that's the next post).

I've had some pretty good luck in spots and some terrible luck in others. (Like today- drove 35 miles and came home empty-handed...) But, you win some, you lose some, and you'll never win if you don't play the game!

I got very lucky in the Pyrex/vintage glass department, and that always makes everything better! I found this charcoal snowflake divided dish with lid- it's my first piece of black snowflake found ITW. The only other piece I have is a space saver I bought on ebay. It's in mint condition and I love it!


Can you believe I found a piece of Fry glass at the pound store? Yep, a Fry oven glass (iridescent) pie plate with a 1915 date stamp for about 50 cents! I think it was $0.89/lb, LOL. I have enough pie plates right now (even tho this is sooo pretty) and no oven to bake them in (hint: watch for a stove update soon!) so this one will be for sale I think.


I also found these Hazel Atlas pretties in the discount room of a different thrift- 25 cents each! Two dinner plates and two cereal bowls. I have mixed these in with my Pyrex turquoise band dinnerware and they look amazing!


I found this Spring Blossom 2 473 the other day. I am not a big fan of the original SB, but the redesign is really growing on me. I like the small flowers! I might hold on to this one for a while to use in my spring display; I don't have a lot of green except for lime. The little chalkware duck was so cute, I picked him up for 50 cents.


I found another space saver! This is actually my second Golden Pine SS found in the wild. It's in much better condition than the first one, so I will be holding onto this one and selling the first. I love this design- it's a combo of atomic and nature, so it speaks to me. ;)


I counted up all the space savers I have found ITW and believe it or not, I've found 7, including a starburst and a rooster (with lid and cradle). I don't think I'm any more lucky than anyone else, just persistent, so they are out there, keep looking!

Probably my biggest score in terms of reselling was this lot of vintage eyewear. I got everything here for $8, including the vintage safety glasses and the 1920s round specs. I always look through the sunglass and eyewear bins at thrift stores, because these can pay off big online. I've sold quite a few pairs for 3 figures when I only paid a couple dollars for them.


So that's it for my pre-birthday week thrift crawl haul!
Stay tuned for the next post on my finds from the big day!
































5 comments:

  1. You made quite the birthday haul. I hope your other birthday celebrations were as much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have FREAKED out had I found that Hazel Atlas! I have the glasses in that pattern but nothing else. Great score!!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birthday thrifting event sounds fun. I might have to take that up in August.
    Bright and Shiny

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great birthday idea! A thrift crawl... Hmm might have to give that one a try. I hope your stove is alright! And HappyBirthday!

    ReplyDelete